Cities and suburbs, real and imaginary.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Would anyone here be interested in a book club?

Just curious. I've been thinking about ways to make this site more meaningful than just a big megaphone for my own things.

I've often done book reviews, and promoted things, and tried to use my powers for good. However, there comes a point where I feel like I'm just typing into the dark.

Would anyone be interested in a monthly book club?

I figure I could choose a book (with input from everyone in the comments) and then we all read it. We all post comments about it on a post dedicated to comments about it. I pick and choose what I like best from the comments and pull it up into the main post for the sake of bringing to light interesting things.

I've been thinking about this for all of twenty minutes, but it doesn't seem crazy, yet. A monthly book club, where I pick your book (with your input) and we all read it for fun and commentary. Hopefully it'll be something none of us have read before. I promise I won't just assign everyone Hal Duncan, Jeff VanderMeer and Ekaterina Sedia over and over again like some kind of geeked out fanboy.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I won't be wanting to do these authors at all, for a while, unless something new comes around.

What do you folks, think?

6 comments:

Red said...

That sounds like fun to me.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea! Now I might have to get a blog so my name will actually come up in the comments instead of 'anonoymous'.

James

James Poole said...

Sounds like alot of fun.

J m mcdermott said...

I've poked around a little, today, looking for an interesting book with which to begin our little book club. I'm thinking short novels are best, while we get used to the idea.

I was thinking one of these three to start: "In the Dutch Mountains" by Cees Nooteboom, "Embers" by Sandor Marai, or "Water Logic" by Laurie Marks. Thoughts, anyone?

Anonymous said...

After reading the back cover blurb for each book, I think Embers sounds the most interesting. Plus it is available for e-readers—an unfortunate requirement for me to get the book in time to read it in a single month. What can I say, I read slow.

James

James Poole said...

Embers is fine with me.