Cities and suburbs, real and imaginary.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Short Story: "The Lady or the Tiger" up at Apex Magazine

[quote]
Re-imagined from a tale by Frank Stockton, 1882

Many years ago, when I was a boy of only ten, I was in a terrible crash on the cliffs south of Io Town, where nights are a deep tundra freeze and afternoons are as hot as a summer on the long plains. Even now, I close my eyes and I can still see Sheila’s face just before she was crushed under two thick layers of plasteel.

I had watched her half of the flyer cracking away from mine, and rolling on top of her.

And collapsing.

On top of her.

Her scream disappeared from the icy air so fast, the only way I knew it had been real was the echo of it, down the canyons, where a small avalanche threw rocks and snow down to the stream.
[/quote]

Go there to read the whole thing

http://www.apexbookcompany.com/blog/2010/02/short-fiction-the-lady-or-the-tiger-by-j-m-mcdermott-2/

No comments: