Cities and suburbs, real and imaginary.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Year's Best List

I had an eclectic reading year, with many books that are not current. (I'm measuring my year by November last year, by the way... Apparently the Book Year ends in January.)

In no particular order (don't believe the numbers!) my favorite books read this year were

1) Finch by Jeff VanderMeer
2) Drood by Dan Simmmons
3) Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand
4) Getting to Know You by David Marusek
5) No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July
6) Gears of the City by Felix Gilman
7) Palimpsest by Catherynne Valente
8) Returning My Sister's Face by Eugie Foster
9) Elegy on a Toy Piano by Dean Young
10) Cyberabad Days by Ian MacDonald

Literary Magazines I liked the Best

*) Conjunctions 52: Betwixt the Between
*) Weird Tales #352
*) Asimov's October-November 2009

**=I had one small contribution to these eclectic collections. LDBH is probably the quirkiest and strangest book of the year, which means, to me, you should buy it immediately and go forth upon your adventure! The Rhysling Anthology is a fabulous collection of current speculative poetry, of which I am a very small part. Still, I think it is necessary to separate these from the rest, though my mentioning has everything to do with everyone else inside and nothing to do with my tiny, little pieces. Both are fantastic little books, and two of the best I read this year.

**) 2009 Rhysling Awards Anthology
**) Last Drink Bird Head



I seemed heavy on Short Story Anthologies this year. I actually didn't read very many novels that blew me away. I admit, however, that I have a few likely candidates sitting in my "to read" pile, that I just haven't had time to get to yet.

In games? My favorites first played this year, where story/writing/narrative gameplay impressed the heck out of me:

1) Dragon Age: Origins <-Haven't completed it, yet, but boy howdy this is RPG Crack.
2) Mirror's Edge
3) Batman: Arkham Asylum

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally agreed on CONJUNCTIONS and BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM - but hey, no INTERFICTIONS 2 or Mieville's THE CITY AND THE CITY? Also, if you haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, Jeff Vandermeer's BOOKLIFE is a really great read - and, if you have a PS3, the story in UNCHARTED 2 is supposed to be fantastic. I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet myself, but it's supposed to be full of pulp adventure-style awesomeness.

J m mcdermott said...

The City and the City was really good, but I didn't like it as much as I liked Finch.

Interfictions 2 will arrive sometime this week, and I know I'm really looking forward to Will Ludwigsian's story.

I'll look around the office and see if we have Uncharted 2 there. I don't have a PS3 at home, but we might need to check it out with the design team.