Cities and suburbs, real and imaginary.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Hugo Awards and the Campbell

Huge congrats to Ann VanderMeer and David Anthony Durham, and all the other winners!

It pleases me to see the people on the ballot that I think should win, win. I didn't even vote!

I would have voted for "The Graveyard Book", as well, and it pleases me to see it victorious. I would have voted for "Exhalation", as well, and - again - it pleases me to see it victorious. I'm not up on the novellas and novelettes, but I have no doubt in the powers of Nancy Kress or Elizabeth Bear, and I'm certainly going to be looking for these stories later.

In the other categories, I would buy Donato Giancola paintings if I could afford them. Seeing them in person is really memorable and exhilarating. I know Cheryl K. Morgan has been a huge cheerleader of my little book, and I'm very glad someone gave her an award. I wish I could give her one. Now, I don't have to. She won the Hugo! I could go on, but I don't need to gush.

The big surprise, to me, was Ann's much-deserved victory in the Locus-dominated category. Weird Tales Magazine is basically awesome. I could give you reasons, but I don't think I need to. Isn't a Hugo a better reason than any I could offer you? If you ever wondered if you should subscribe or not, here's the most prestigious award in SF/F suggesting that maybe you should.

No comments: